Growing Trees

Trees are one of the most vital parts of any town, and play a large role in a town's environmental status. When you first move to your town, you'll find several trees already planted, some of which will be fruit trees growing your town's native fruit. Trees' appearances change depending on the season, during the Summer they appear normal, their leaves green and healthy. During Winter, the leaves seem a darker green and are snow covered , some cedar trees will also be decorated with Christmas lights. In Autumn, the leaves appear bright red, and in Spring the leaves turn pink in recognition of the Cherry Blossom festival .

Trees can be planted two ways. One way is by simply planting a sapling in any empty square. Saplings can be bought from Tom Nook for varying prices depending on membership status. The other option is digging a hole and burying fruit, both ways require five days for trees to fully mature. Saplings(and full grown trees) do not require watering, and walking/running over saplings does not effect their growth. Trees can be cut down with three swings of an axe which can be purchased from Tom Nook . After a tree has been cut down you can then dig the stump out with a shovel.

There are four kinds of non-fruit bearing trees: normal trees, cedar trees, festive trees, and cherry blossom trees (aka Sakura).
Details about them are as follows:
Normal Trees
Bought from Tom Nook as saplings for 80 bells .
These can be grown anywhere and will not grow any fruit.
Can be grown buy burying bells with a golden shovel.
Can drop bells, furniture, or bee hives when shaken.
Cedar Trees
Bought from Tom Nook as saplings for 60 bells .
These can only be grown in the top two acres of town and do not grow any fruit. Can drop bells, furniture, or beehives when shaken.
Apple Trees.
Grown by planting an apple in a hole in the ground.
Can be grown anywhere.
Will drop apples if shaken. The apples will grow back after three days.
Orange Trees
Grown by planting an orange in a hole in the ground.
Can be grown anywhere.
Will drop oranges if shaken. The oranges will grow back after three days.
Pear Trees
Grown by planting a pear in a hole in the ground.
Can be grown anywhere.
Will drop pears if shaken. The pears will grow back after three days.
Cherry Trees
Grown by planting a cherry in a hole in the ground.
Can be grown anywhere.
Will drop cherries if shaken. The cherries will grow back after three days.
Peach Trees
Grown by planting a peach in a hole in the ground.
Can be grown anywhere.
Will drop peaches if shaken. The peaches will grow back after three days.
Coconut Trees
(palm trees)
Grown by planting a coconut in a hole in the ground.
Coconuts can be found washed up on the beach on random days.
Can only grow in the bottom/southern row of acres.
Will drop coconuts if shaken. The coconuts will grow back after three days.
Festive Trees
During Winter around Christmas, some of your regular cedar trees turn into
Festive Cedars. Festive Cedars have lights all around it
that blink random colors. This happens to random cedar trees and the
player does not need to buy a special kind of tree or decorate
the tree for this to happen.
They will go back to normal Cedar Trees after
some time in January the next year.
They look a bit like Christmas trees.
Money Trees
Grown by burying Bells with a golden shovel in a hole
in the ground.
After shaking tree it will turn into a normal tree.
(see below for more details)
Cherry Blossom
Change the color and shape of some tree's leaves
to a pinkish/magenta color. They appear on or after
the April 1st until April 10th to signify that spring
has come! This also helps in identifying the regular
trees from the fruit trees, as only the normal trees
change cherry blossom pink.

Each tile in town is set to either "allow trees" or "do not allow trees". The latter are tiles which trees can never grow on, sometimes due to planned town features, (such as the fountain) sometimes because the tree is planted too close to another tree, and sometimes just at random. If a tile contains a tree, it is an "allow trees" tile, hence cutting the tree down and planting a new one in its place will guarantee its growth. If a tile has never contained a tree, the only way to know if it is a "do not allow" tile is to plant a sapling there. If it turns out to be a "do not allow" tile, the day after you plant the sapling it will be wilted and dying. The following day it will be gone.

  • Exception to the above paragraph is when the town fountain is created; existing trees that are positioned immediately adjacent to the new fountain are not destroyed (as they would be for the appearance of a new villager's house), but if they are cut down and a fresh sapling or fruit is planted in their place, the replacement tree will not grow.

Bell Trees

These unique trees are grown by burying Bells with a golden shovel . These trees may produce three bags of Bells (a bit like fruit), and each bag of Bells on the tree will be worth 30,000 bells, no matter how many bells were buried. Bells will only sprout once, and even if the tree grows there is no guarantee that bells will be produced. Once you have collected the bells of a bell tree, the tree turns into a normal tree.

The chance of a Bell Tree producing Bells is 1 percentage point per 1,000 Bells buried. For example: If you bury 10,000 Bells you have a 10% chance of the tree producing three bags of 30,000 Bells (meaning 90% of the time the tree will just be a regular tree). If you bury 50,000 Bells you'll have a 50% chance of the tree producing three bags of 30,000 Bells. You can only plant one Bell tree a day, but can have more than one in your town at a time.

The easiest way to plant and succeed in getting bell trees is to plant 99,000 bells as there's a 99% chance of getting a bell tree. If you intend to leave the bell tree with the bell bags still attached, you will lose 99,000 bells, but many think bell trees look very nice and earn you bragging rights! If instead you choose to go ahead and shake the money tree to remove the bell bags, you would only lose 9,000 bells.

Using 100 bell coins to plant trees, while very unlikely to produce bell trees, can be a convenient method to plant many trees during one session.

Chopping Down Trees

Fully grown trees can be chopped down with three strikes of an axe. This leaves a stump, which can be removed using a shovel, or you can leave the stumps as part of your landscaping. There are also two bugs that only appear on tree stumps (the Longhorn Beetle and the Violin Beetle), so it can be to your advantage to leave a few stumps for these particular bugs to appear on.

Note: Trees that are younger can be chopped down with as low as one strike of the axe.

Shaking Trees

Trees can be shaken to make them drop their contents. With fruit trees this is pretty obvious: the fruit drops and the player can collect the fruit by standing over the dropped fruit and clicking B. Normal and Cedar trees will sometimes drop 100 bells or furniture (maximum of 3 pieces a day)when shaken, or may contain bugs like a Spider or a Bagworm . Katrina in the City sometimes gives you a good fortune which can help you get 300 bells from trees, instead of 100. (lasts one day only)

When shaking plain trees or cedar trees there is the risk of disturbing a bees nest, which will result in the bees chasing and stinging you, if you don't catch them with a net first or hide indoors. Each day there will be, at most, 5 beehives. Tips for catching bees can be found here . If you do get stung, your villagers will all comment on it unless you are wearing a Mii Mask. You can buy medicine from Tom Nook's store for 400 bells once per day which will get rid of the sting, or you can save and reload and the sting will be gone. Bees will not appear if your gate is open.
A beehive will also not drop from a tree that has fruit on it, or has had fruit on it at any point during a game session.

NOTE: To get the fruit down faster from the tree you can use the axe. Just hit the tree once and the fruit falls to the ground. This method will not harm the tree as long as you wait until it produces fruit again to use the axe method. The downside to this is dulling your axe of course. Most suggested for this process is the golden or silver axe.

A regular sapling in spring (left) and a fruit sapling in spring (right)

For information of the fruit go to: